Mission: SWNI empowers citizen action to improve and maintain the livability of Southwest neighborhoods.
Southwest Portland: City Audit Report
City of Portland audit report: Southwest Portland: Residents rate livability highly while some services are much worse than citywide
Responsibility of Board
- Hire staff and develop policies for the management of the agency.
- Plans and approves the SWNI annual budget.
- Plans and approves the annual action plan for citizen participation and crime prevention.
- Contracts with the City of Portland to provide services to member neighborhood and business associations and southwest citizens.
- Provides in-depth information to citizens on citizen participation, crime prevention and how to work with city bureaus and other public agencies.
- Provides a forum for important Southwest issues and organizes area wide events, i.e., candidates-fair, annual cleanup, volunteer recognition event.
- The board does NOT represent or make decisions for individual neighborhoods. Each neighborhood association is autonomous in its decision-making power.
The Executive Committee members are elected by vote of the entire board for one-year terms, serving July 1st through June 30th, coinciding with the fiscal year.
Neighborhood Association Representatives
The board includes a representative from each of the 17 member neighborhood associations. Each of these volunteer-run neighborhood associations are responsible for selecting their representative. Read about SWNI Neighborhoods
- Arnold Creek: Sharon Keast
- Ashcreek: Michael Kisor
- Bridlemile: Open
- Collinsview: Fran Laird
- Crestwood: Open
- Far Southwest: Marcia Leslie
- Hayhurst: Tom McCarley
- Hillsdale: Glenn Bridger
- Homestead: Milt Jones
- Maplewood: Stephan Lewis
- Markham: Donna Herron
- Marshall Park: Lynda Troutman
- Multnomah: Kay Durtschi
- South Burlingame: Open
- South Portland: Ken Love
- Southwest Hills Residential League: Nancy Seton
- West Portland Park: Mike McNamara
The board includes committee chairs, appointed by the president and approved by the entire board. Read about SWNI Committees
- Communications: Lee Buhler
- Land Use: John Gibbon
- Parks & Community Centers: Kirky Doblie
- Public Safety: James Nobles
- Schools: Will Fuller
- Transportation: Roger Averbeck
Business Association Representatives
The board includes a representative from each of the 3 member business associations. Each of these business associations are responsible for selecting their representative.
- Hillsdale Business Association: open
- Multnomah Business Association: open
- South Portland Business Association: open