Bridlemile has a number of homes of historic and architectural interest a number of which are listed on the Historic Inventory of Portland, Oregon and one on the National Register of Historic Places. Although there are only three currently listed here, more coming soon.
If you have any information, photos, or stories regarding the buildings below or other historic/significant buildings in Bridlemile please contact the Bridlemile Neighborhood Association and ask that this page be updated.
The Fairvale Store
The Fairvale Store, SW Shattuck in 1909. Rogers' Family photo. The Fairvale Store eventually moved down to the NW corner of Shattuck and Beaverton-Hillsdale Highway
The Fairvale Store, at corner of SW Beaverton Hillsdale Highway and SW Shattuck Road. Photo courtesy of Evelyn Rogers used with permission from the Multnomah Historical Association. and in 1955 Mrs. Rogers sold it to Albertsons.
The Long House
The Long House, 4402 SW Shattuck. Photo by Victor von Salza
Richard and Delores Long bought the house in 1943 and lived it into the 1970's I think. Annette Long Stone was raised in the house. More history of the house to come...
Tigard/Rogers House 4504 SW Shattuck (corner of SW Shattuck & Hamilton). Rogers' Family Photo. To see how tree in above picture looks today click here.
Tigard/Rogers House 4504 SW Shattuck (corner of SW Shattuck & Hamilton) 2004. Photo by Victor von Salza.
Wilcox Manor 3707 SW 52nd Place (turn north off Windsor Court). Photo by Victor von Salza.
The Wilcox Estate was the country home of Theodore B. Wilcox, a banker and major player in the China flour trade in Portland from 1884-1918. The estate, called Glenwood Farms, was designed in the Colonial Revival style by architect Kirtland Kelsey Cutter and completed in 1917.
When Wilcox died in 1918 the estate was given to his son, Theodore Burney Jr. (Ted), who lived in the home until 1948. They sold the property, now known as Wilcox Manor, to the Order of the Holy Cross for use as a school. The Columbia Preparatory School was a private Catholic High School for boys until 1955 when it was sold to land developer, Robert Strahorn, who subdivided the 160 acres into hundreds of lots. The estate came into the hands of John and Ruth Powell who were associated with Strahorn. A Mr. Ballentine owned the property next and remodeled the Manor into eight apartments. In 1965 Ken Guenther purchased it, and had it placed it on the National Register of Historic Places in 1993. As part of the requirements for being on the National Register of Historic Places it is open for public viewing once a year. Currently Wilcox Estates is a condominium complex.
Of related interest:
- 2003 Interview with and Mary Lou Ken Guenther by Ginger Danzer and Bev Shaw.
- Theodore B. Wilcox, Captain of Industry and Magnate of the China Flour Trade, 1884–1918
- Classic Houses of Portland 1850-1950 William J. Hawkins III and William F. Willingham
- The Southwest Community Connection, April 1996
- The Oregonian September 1997
- The Southwest Connection August 2007 Wilcox Manor opens its doors to neighbors" by Jessie Kirk