SWNI Board Meeting
Wednesday, February 27, 2008
First Vice President Ken Love called the meeting to order at 7:02 p.m.
Present Glenn Bridger, Tye Steinbach, Jan Weston, Nancy Hand, Marianne Fitzgerald, Greg Schifsky, Susan Egnor, John Gibbon, Will Fuller, Jill Gaddis, Marcia Leslie, David Gens, Ken Love, Dorothy Gage, Brian Russell
Staff: Sylvia Bogert
Guest: Min Lee (crime prevention intern)
Press: Lee Perlman, Southwest Post
The Board approved the Agenda and approved the minutes as corrected.
SWNI Executive Committee Reports
First Vice President Ken Love gave the Executive Committee Report. The SWNI retreat went well. Sylvia Bogert will assemble the brainstorming results, take them to the Executive Committee and then to next month’s Board meeting. Neighborhood/Committee Action Plans are due May 15th. Neighborhood/Committee Volunteer Nominations due May 15th and the Volunteer Recognition Event will be Monday, June 30th
Sylvia Bogert gave the Treasurer’s for Tom Schaper. The Bureau of Environmental Services was late in make payments but they finally came in and the budget is in good shape. She announced Ruthann Bedenkop will contact Small Grant recipients in April to find out how it’s going.
SWNI Executive Director's Report
Executive Director Sylvia Bogert reported on the budget process. The Mayor is very supportive of the Office of Neighborhood Involvement budget. They will meet with individual commissioners on the budget with the City Council hearing on the ONI budget set for March 10 at 4: 30 p.m. The budget requires that Coalitions raise an amount equal to 20% of their budget to receive that 20% in matching contract dollars. Southwest Neighborhoods has more than met this target. Staff has used information on volunteer hours spent to show how the budget dollars leverage value for the coalition. SWNI's public involvement contract regarding the tower replacement project is back on track.
Standing Committee Reports
Land Use Committee – John Gibbon asked for whether the Land Use Committee should be hearing developer presentations for projects without having the benefit of the neighborhood’s views on the project. He may put on the agenda for the March meeting. Glenn Bridger noted that the Neighborhood Association has the power to take action on development projects but may not have the resources. If a Neighborhood Association asks the committee to take action, it may do so.
John Gibbon reported on the status of organizing the Portland Plan process and concerns raised by Southeast Uplift. The Committee chose not to join SE Uplift in complaints. He reported there had been standing room only at the design roll out for Metro’s sustainable housing designs.
Crime Prevention/Public Safety Committee – Nancy Hand reported the new crime prevention coordinator spoke to their meeting. The Ready Safe Go program is April 26 at PCC Cascade. The Committee also heard a presentation on identify theft prevention. The Multnomah County District Attorneys Office has a website with good information. The Committee is trying to attend each NA meeting to discuss the “mini-precinct” proposal, better characterized as a “substation.” Sylvia Bogert reported the Central Precinct Redistricting regroups the patrol cars and should improve response times for Southwest.
Transportation Committee – Marianne Fitzgerald: The Committee heard about the $40 million I-5 off-ramp in South Waterfront. The Safe Sound and Green Streets program is on life support, with a decision only after the May primary. Cannot count on city funds for Halo LIDs. The Committee is working on group strategy. The first Halo LID open house will be in April. All potential LID participants will receive a letter survey. Marianne reported on the Regional Transportation Plan process and the Metropolitan Transportation Improvement Plan. The Land Use Committee and the Transportation Committee will meet together March 4 to develop strategy for SW projects in these plans.
She presented the Committee’s motion to write the Office of Neighborhood Involvement to provide training to immigrants on pedestrian, bicycle, transit, and auto rules. The Board unanimously adopted the motion with the proviso that the Executive Director will clarify the concerns in the letter.
Schools Committee – Will Fuller said the Committee will advise on which schools serve which neighborhoods. Superintendent has presented her budget which contains stable but inadequate funding. Will Fuller reviewed the provisions of the budget. He explained the Committee’s reluctance to take a position on proposed health insurance for all students: concerns are funding, high deductibles and dependence on an uncertain city budget surplus. He reported on reduction in SUN school funding. Of the 4 in Southwest, only Marquam School will qualify for the full program. Neighborhood House has requested funds from schools for program Don Baack to see if city can help back fill some of county funding The RFP is due end of March. County commissioners decide on which schools are funded in mid to late May. Nancy Hand expressed concern over the misconception by the County Commissioners that the west side has no low income people and no need for funding.
Parks & Community Centers Committee –Sylvia Bogert gave Kirky Doblie’s report. There has been no response to the Committee’s letter to Commissioner Saltzman regarding participation on the Parks Board. There have been two open houses on the System Development Charges for Parks, which go before City Council on March 5.
Operation Committee Report: Communications Committee—Sylvia Bogert gave Wes McMullen’s report. The next meeting is March 17 at the Multnomah Center. Does SWNI want to use the Constant Contact tool? In light of concern about volunteer burnout, there will be intense staff training over the next few months. The website will be upgraded. Toolboxes for the NA’s are being developed.
The Board established and approved a nominating committee for the SWNI Board Elections in May.
Announcements/Suggestions for the good of the organization
Sellwood Bridge Update Dorothy Gage reported that funding has disappeared for the Bridge because eastern county communities don’t want to pay for it.—
The meeting adjourned at 8:38