Looking out the SWNI office windows in Multnomah Arts Center building on a snowy December morning.
Southwest Neighborhoods, Inc. is a nonprofit 501(c)(3) coalition of seventeen neighborhood and three business associations in southwest Portland, Oregon. We provide support services to member neighborhood associations and residents of southwest Portland, empowering public participation in civic affairs and improvement in the character and livability of neighborhoods. Southwest Neighborhoods, Inc. encourages and facilitates communication amongst community members, neighborhood associations and public and private agencies and groups. The board of directors includes a representative from each neighborhood in the coalition. Southwest Neighborhoods, Inc. provides education, outreach and community involvement for watershed projects in the Fanno, Tryon and Willamette watersheds. We publish educational articles on ways residents can improve the health of local watersheds, list opportunities for volunteers to participate in monthly restoration work parties in local parks and attend open houses for projects the Bureau of Environmental Services has planned in or area. We also provide staff for the Southwest Watershed Resource Center and give support to approximately 14 neighborhood stewardship groups.
Southwest Neighborhoods, Inc. empowers citizen action to improve and maintain the livability of Southwest neighborhoods.
Southwest Neighborhoods has worked with over 500 volunteers during the last year to support citizen involvement and community-building activities. Together we secured funding for playgrounds, small grant projects, a mural, and advocated for transportation improvements including traffic calming measures, sidewalks, and bike lanes in our neighborhoods. Take a minute to review our Annual Report for Fiscal Year 2011-12
. Take note of the significant amount of funds leveraged by the City’s investment through our grant agreement with the Office of Neighborhood Involvement and the number of activities and accomplishments measured in our performance indicator reports.
- To encourage, support and coordinate citizen participation in matters affecting the livability of Southwest Portland by providing educational resources and maintaining communication between citizens, neighborhood associations, public agencies and private organizations.
- To encourage and support activity of neighborhood associations in southwest Portland.
- To provide assistance for activities and projects of neighborhood associations in southwest Portland upon request.
- To represent the membership of SWNI in matters affecting the livability of southwest Portland.
- To provide personnel and resources necessary to accomplish the above purposes.
Services we provide
- assistance with community organizing for citizen participation and crime prevention
- assistance to neighborhood associations with publicity, including design, printing and distribution of flyers, press releases, etc.
- implementation and facilitation of projects as requested by citizens such as neighborhood cleanups, candidate fairs, neighborhood picnics, fund-raisers for playground structures, open space parks, etc.
- publishing of a monthly newsletter for entire district membership
- information resources for Southwest citizen participation and crime prevention issues
- training, guidance and clerical support to member neighborhood associations
- information and referral to city bureaus
How we communicate
- SW News newspaper - Receive our free printed monthly newspaper in the mail. You can see an online version of this month's newspaper and subscribe on our HOME PAGE.
- E-newsletter - SUBSCRIBE (Check the "SWNI General Interest" box)