by Ginger Danzer Download BNAWBtB2.pdf,327KB 327KB - a keyed map and numbered description of the "A Browse thru Bridlemile" walk.
A Browse thru Bridlemile, by Ginger Danzer
Photographs by Victor von Salza
Begin your walk at the play structure at Hamilton Park(1).
The Bridlemile Neighborhood Association under the direction of Linda Bonder constructed the play structure in 2001. Walk west to the Bridlemile school play ground and admire the new play structure(2)
which was funded and installed by parents in April 2006. Continue along the east side of the school past the covered basketball court and admire the new planters and trees(3)
on the south side of the building, another new feature funded and installed by the school parents. These plantings are designed to shade the south side of the school in order to keep the classrooms cooler on hot days.
Retrace your steps back to the purple play structure(2) and walk on the path along the north side of the school. During the school year (after classes are out) take a look in the windows(4) at the big blue balls sitting by/on each desk. Students are using the balls as seats, testing to see if they provide better posture and health (the balls are deflated for the summer). Notice the rain barrels(4)
that are used for recycling rainwater for use in the garden.
To the right of the path enjoy the colorful fish(5) decorating the cyclone fence above the wall.
They are the result of a 2005-2006 student art project. Next wander toward the entrance to the school, read the plaque and rest on one of the marble benches(6).
To the left of the front doors, enjoy the tile wall(7)
designed and produced by students. Cross the parking lot to 47th drive and walk south to Hamilton and turn west (right). Hamilton was originally called Hess Road. At the corner of Hamilton and Shattuck is the famous Tigard/Rogers House(8), one of the oldest homes in Oregon.
It was built in 1853 or 1854 by Andrew Tigard, who had the Donation Land Claim for this land. The house was sold to Edward and Esther Rogers in 1875. The Rogers farmed here for many years. The house is currently owned by Roger Hancock, great-grandson of Edward and Esther Rogers. Read the Plaque on the beautiful Ponderosa Pine(9). This is a Heritage Tree, a famous Portland tree. It is very old.
Across the street and down a bit from the corner was the old Fairvale Store(10). The Fairvale Store eventually moved down to the intersection of Shattuck and Beaverton-Hillsdale Highway and Mr. Rogers sold it to Albertsons. Turn north on Shattuck and walk to 4402 SW Shattuck(11) which is known as the Long House because the Long family lived in it the longest! The Long family farmed this side of Hamilton for many years. Annette Long Stone still lives on Hamilton on the land her father gave her when she got married. Walk on up Shattuck to Lowell. Turn east (right) and walk to the path just past the mailbox at 4766. Go down the path and steps to the Ivey Creek Bridge(12),
admire Ivey Creek,
which flows into Fanno Creek. Ivey is not misspelled, the Ivey family were long time Bridlemile residents. Then go up the steps and left onto SW 48th Place. At the end of 48th Place turn northeast (right) on Lowell to SW 45th. The brick house with the lovely grounds on the corner is the old Walther home built in 1946(13).
The Walthers farmed 68 acres all the way down to Hamilton.
There is still an operating well here(14).
The Lopez Family who live there take meticulous care of the home. Follow SW 45th north (left) to Tunnelwood. Go east (right, your only option) strolling though Bridlewood to SW 43rd. Turn north (left and go up to the path that connects to the next part of Tunnelwood. Before going on that path look left at the path that connects Bridlewood to Montmore(15). It’s fun to go down and check out Ivey Creek(16) here.
Montmore’s lovely but it is not on this walk. Go up that path and get on Tunnelwood again. The Crawford Sawmill(17) was just about at 40th and Tunnelwood. No sign of a sawmill now. Walk up Ericwood which is a dead end street. Watch for the cement blocks across the street from 3730 SW Ericwood that mark the second path(18) to Montmore. The Montmore loop is an option for your walk. The steep path and street are good exercise. Walk up Tunnelwood to Jerald. Turn south (right) on Jerald Way. Notice the handsome espalier(19)
and admire the Haleston home(20).
Turn left on Jerald Court then right back onto Jerald Way. The houses on this street are among the first built in Bridlemile. At the junction of Jerald Way and Bridlemile Lane take time to look at the house at 3500 Bridlemile Lane, this is the Powell/Belluschi home(21).
Photo by www.360.com Ruth and John Powell bought this land in 1947. Ruth Powell chose the name Bridlemile for our neighborhood. There is a relationship to the famed architect, Belluschi, but it is murky. Turn west (right) on Bridlemile Lane. There are more stories about some of these houses that are waiting to be explored. One of them was a General Electric model, a fully electric home! Continue down Bridlemile Lane. There is a Deciduous Redwood(22) at about 36th and Bridlemile Lane. The street swings right and up the hill after crossing the soon to be named Bridlemile Creek it winds up to Jerald Court. Turn west (left) walk to SW 40th Place. Turn south (left) and go down Bancroft to 47th Drive. Turn south (left) onto SW 47th and back to Hamilton Park. Follow the path along the east side of the tennis courts into the wood to get a peek at Bridlemile Creek(23),
which the Bridlemile Creek Stewards have restored. Back past the tennis court are a bench and swing, where you can sit on the bench and enjoy the view or go for a swing. Finally head back to the play structure(1), and that's the end of this Browse through Bridlemile.