Safety and Crime

The Safety and Crime committee is dedicated to helping neighbors make our neighborhood a safer place.

Montage of Crime Topics. Photos by Tom Doberstein & Victor von Salza.
Graffiti, Fire Station, Foot Patrol, Joy Riding

Phone Numbers

If you see activity that appears to violate a law or ordinance, please call the police to report it as soon as possible, Call 911 for crimes in progress or for dangerous or life-threatening situations that require immediate police intervention, e.g.

  • You believe someone is driving away from the park drunk
  • There is a fight at the park
  • You hear gunshots
  • You see a crime being committed
  • You think someone is hurt or about to get hurt
  • You you feel threatened by someone who has come to your door.

Call 503-823-3333 the Portland Police Non-Emergency # for crimes that have already happened or situations that are less threatening, e.g.

  • Someone is making excessive noise at the park
  • A group is using the park after hours • A minor is out past curfew in the park
  • Report suspicious door-to-door activity (see below)

Both 911 and the non-emergency number are answered by the same call takers at the Bureau of Emergency Communications. The 911 calls are answered first, and the non-emergency calls are answered next.

Call 503-823-4TAG(4824) the Portland Police Bureau's Graffiti Hotline to report graffiti.

Call 503-823-SAFE (503-823-7233) the Transportation Safety and Livability Hotline to report intersection safety, pedestrian safety, school safety, neighborhood speeding, visibility of signs or pavement markings, bicycle safety, parking, or initial capital project requests.