SW News newspaper
SWNI publishes the monthly 16-page SW News newspaper. Each neighborhood association is provided space in the printed and online editions for a 300-to-500 word article, public meeting notice and event announcements. The 20-page July edition is mailed to all households in southwest Portland and highlights neighborhood association summer events.
The SWNI coalition website, swni.org includes coalition-wide content and separate pages for or links to websites of each neighborhood association. Each association receives a website login for updating their content.
Newsletter and Social Media Accounts
SWNI staff assist with establishing and managing MailChimp email marketing and Facebook social media accounts for neighborhood associations.
Custom Domain Name
SWNI pays the annual domain registration fees and manages neighborhood association domains, for example yourneighborhood.org.
Google for Nonprofits
Google for Nonprofits is a suite of Google cloud services, available to neighborhood associations. The tools include
- G Suite for Nonprofits: A suite of office productivity apps like Gmail, Docs, Calendar, Drive, and Hangouts Meet. Here are some of the ways SWNI has implemented G Suite to support neighborhood associations:
- Groups: Board Groups for neighborhood association board members provide an online discussion forum and ability to share and store documents and files in the cloud on Drive. Contact Groups for official contact to neighborhood associations facilitate city transportation and land use notifications.
- Drive: Neighborhood association archives are available for Board Group members to view in the cloud on Drive. Public documents like meeting minutes are viewable through links on each neighborhood association's website.
- Gmail: Email addresses for custom domain names, for example email@example.com.
- Photos: Unlimited photo storage for each neighborhood association. Photo albums can be embedded on a website and shared in a newsletter.
- Sites allow neighborhood associations to create and manage websites.
- Learn more about G Suite tools at the G Suite Learning Center.
- Google Ad Grants: Advertising through Google Search.
- YouTube Brand Account: Share videos with a YouTube Brand Account to better connect with supporters, volunteers, and donors. Live-stream and archive meetings.
- Google One Today: Build fundraising campaigns that tie supporters' donations to your impact.
- Google Earth Outreach and Google Maps Platform: Bring your story to life with custom maps and global location data.
Microsoft Cloud offers a suite of cloud services that can dramatically empower your organization:
- Microsoft Office 365: An office productivity suite of apps like Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Skype, online OneDrive file storage, and collaboration tools. Learn more about Office 365 E1 tools at the Office 365 Training Center.
- Microsoft Azure: An integrated suite of cloud services including analytics, computing, web and mobile apps, networking, storage, and more. SWNI uses Microsoft's annual donation of $3,500 in Azure credits to provide neighborhood associations with secure backups for their website and archives and hosting of an ArcGIS virtual machine for the Watershed Resource Center.
SWNI staff are available 9am-5pm, Monday through Friday, to answer phones, receive mail and greet walk-ins at the Multnomah Arts Center office. Neighborhood associations can use the SWNI office mailing address and phone number.
- Neighborhood association mail is held in the SWNI office for pickup.
- SWNI pays for laminating a large City of Portland boundary map for each neighborhood association.
- SWNI staff are available to assist associations in using office printers, laminator and other equipment and supplies.
- See Fiscal Services page for more information on office services SWNI provides.
Neighborhood associations can reserve SWNI equipment for use at their meetings and events.
- Overhead projector
- Audio recorder
- Portable whiteboard
- Video equipment for live streaming meetings or production of neighborhood videos
- See Events page for more event-related supplies available by reservation
Printing and Mailing
- SWNI pays postage (some years - see annual budget) for mailing to all households within the neighborhood association boundaries.
- Assistance with graphic design of postcards and flyers.
- SWNI provides a commercial printing allowance to each neighborhood association (some years - see annual budget) and use of printers in the SWNI office.